A multi-city adaptive climbing tour is taking the fun factor up to new heights for people with disabilities and their families. That’s right… the opportunity to participate in this all-encompassing family bonding activity may soon be possible at a local gym in your very own town!
This unique traveling experience is spearheaded by Catalyst Sports, a nonprofit working to advance inclusive sporting adventures within the disability community, such as through indoor/outdoor climbing, mountain biking, cycling, kayaking and snow sports. This organization operates numerous chapters throughout the Southeastern U.S., with each exclusively hosting weekly, bi-weekly and/or monthly programs that support and engage participants of all abilities emotionally, mentally and physically.
Following a successful career as an adaptive sports instructor, Eric Gray founded Catalyst Sports in 2012. Gray survived childhood cancer and set a life goal of removing barriers and creating access for fellow people with disabilities.
Where to Climb
In the spring of 2022, Catalyst Sports launched the largest adaptive climbing tour to date in the U.S. Partnering wellness facilities in nine cities eagerly jumped on board to host major adaptive climbing clinics, in an effort to make climbing more diverse, accessible and inclusive. A handful of adaptive climbing clinics have already been held at SportRock Climbing in Greater D.C., LEF Climbing in Lexington, The Crag in Franklin and Riversports in Knoxville.
Here’s a list of upcoming adaptive climbing clinics:
- July 9, 2022: Rocksport Climbing in Louisville, KY
- July 16, 2022: High Point Climbing and Fitness in Huntsville, AL
- July 23, 2022: Stone Summit Atlanta in Atlanta, GA
- July 30, 2022: Active Climbing in Augusta, GA
- August 6, 2022: High Point Climbing and Fitness in Birmingham, AL
- August 20, 2022: The Riveter in Asheville, NC
- September 3, 2022: Vertical eXcape in Bowling Green, KY
- September 17, 2022: High Point and Fitness in Chattanooga, TN
- September 24, 2022: Climb Nashville in Nashville, TN
- October 8, 2022: Vertical eXcape in Evansville, IN
- October 13-16, 2022: Adaptive Climbing Festival in Red River Gorge, KY [Details below]
These adaptive climbing events are free of charge and open to anyone with a physical disability, including spinal cord injury, amputation, visual impairment or other disabilities. Catalyst Sports encourages registration through its event page. And potential sponsors interested in hosting additional tours should inquire via email to email@example.com.
Taking Inclusivity to New Heights
Catalyst Sports is set to host the grand finale of this exciting tour in October 2022. The Adaptive Climbing Festival will be held in Red River Gorge in Kentucky. The organization is seeking both adaptive sport participants as well as event volunteers. Catalyst Sports has confirmed that properly trained volunteers and members of a paraclimbing team will be ready to help adaptive climbers conquer this high-stakes adventure!
Catalyst Sports relies on generous contributions to fund training, certification, scholarships, recruitment and the purchasing of adaptive equipment. To support these efforts, consider a financial donation.